Friday, April 2, 2010

Hope Lives Eternal.


This is taken directly from a blog written by a woman who wrote about her cancer diagnosis, treatments and the ultimate finality of her disease. This entry is written just after her MD informed her that she needed to seek Hospice care.

I can’t say I’m thrilled about the latest verdict on my care and treatment. But as Alex has written, we are not giving up hope. They basically told me I had one year or less when I was diagnosed in 2007, but through hope, love, the good prayers of all of you, I am still here nearly THREE YEARS LATER– what my oncologist Richard Penson, calls "miracle years." I would be churlish not to be thankful for that gift, made possible by God, your prayers and your love.

My oncologist on Monday advised me to think about what I want my legacy to be. I have been ruminating on that. My conclusion? I want my legacy to be all of you—my friends, loved ones, former students—a human chain of those who have guided and influenced me, and whom I touched and influenced.​
Final advice? Always do the right thing. It will gratify your friends and enrage your enemies.

I don’t want to go. I love life and I know how blessed I am
....


This is what I see the most when patients enter hospice, their life spirit. Their hope. Unless they came to our service very, very close to the end, we see this determination all of the time. We do not discourage it. We do not steal anyone's hope.

Think about how many times a day we talk about hope without really thinking about it.

I hope you feel better soon.
I hope I can get that stain out.
I hope you do well on your test.
My, God, I hope you don't mean that!

And our new President even ran on a campaign of hope.

I think hope unites us somehow, connects us with a very deep part of ourselves that is universal. We all hope for things. When times are down, we all hope for the best.

I cannot think of much else that is so uniquely human. And so we cling to hope until we are forced to let go. And why wouldn't we.

Hope is really a lot of what the human experience is all about. Without hope, we do not have much. I find that truly fascinating.

Never let anyone steal your hope.

“Hope is the dream of a soul awake.”
French Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment