Wednesday, May 8, 2019

The Hurt We Hide Is Killing Us

I meet so many wonderful people each and every day. Unfortunately, I meet many of  them in the worst of circumstances. You have probably met them too. But you never know their pain, their sorrow. They keep it hidden, often asking you how you are doing. And when you respond in kind, they most likely will answer, I am doing well, thank you.

But they are not doing well. They wear a fake mask, trying to hold it all together.  It is exhausting for them. They swirl in a mass of conflicting priorities; the young mom with a sick child but two others seeking attention, the co-worker who is caring for a sick loved one but cannot miss another day of work or a paycheck, the teacher of your child who has just received a cancer diagnosis, the neighbor whose spouse died suddenly and without warning but must now maintain a home and do not have the capacity to even try.

We walk among these folks every day. We may be one of them. We nod, we say hi, but we never really know the sorrow that is deep inside. We hide it. They hide it. It is all so isolating.

When I meet with the bereaved I am often told of their isolation. They feel that people don't want to know about their sadness. They stop getting invited to events and parties. No one brings up the deceased. They are too afraid to open wounds. They prefer the stoic presumption of bravery. They like saying, you have moved on, things are getting better, oh good for you. They like to believe that because they don't want to really know. They want to see that you are doing 'fine'. They need that so that if a similar situation befalls them, they see that all will be ok.

They are easily fooled.

It is never really okay. People have no choice but to soldier on with open, gaping wounds and sorrow. They must "hold it together". People are depending on them. No, they don't talk about it. But at night, all alone, the facade can be put aside. They can lose themselves in sleep or TV or exercise or crying. They can take off that mask they wear for you and embrace their loss, their pain. Until tomorrow, when they put on that heavy mask once again.

This is why we need compassion. To show it to people. To hug. We need more than sad face emojis. We need to reach out to one another. Touch.  Start listening. Start asking questions. Start sharing our pain. Just sitting quietly. Just being present.

The isolation is literally killing us. Pills and drinks and elicit drugs are sweeping our communities. People are anesthetizing themselves. Those walls we build are tombs. We must find ways to break them down.

A first step would be to acknowledge someone's pain. Don't ask, do. Send a text. Make a call. Send a card that says I know you are going through hell, but know I love you. Ring someone's doorbell and bring them some flowers or some treats. No words needed.

Reach out.  Reach out.  Just reach out in small ways.

It could literally save your life and others', too.

"Spread love everywhere you go.  Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier" ~ Mother Teresa

"Look for a way to lift someone up.  And if that's all you do, that's enough." ~ Elizabeth Lesser

" Instead of putting others in their place, put yourself in their place."  ~Anonymous


33 comments:

  1. Superb blog you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any community forums that cover the same topics talked about here?

    I'd really like to be a part of online community where I can get advice from other
    experienced people that share the same interest.
    If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know of any in particular, but people have told me there are grief groups on Facebook.

      Delete
  2. Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found
    that it's truly informative. I'm going to watch out for brussels.
    I will appreciate if you continue this in future.

    A lot of people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there everyone, it's my first visit at this web site, and paragraph is in fact fruitful in favor of me, keep up posting these
    types of articles or reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, this was an extremely good post. Taking the
    time and actual effort to create a top notch article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a lot and never seem to get anything done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are truly a excellent webmaster. The site loading speed is incredible.

    It sort of feels that you are doing any unique trick. Also, The contents
    are masterpiece. you have performed a magnificent job on this matter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to
    be on the net the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you,
    I definitely get annoyed while people consider
    worries that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole
    thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal.

    Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its like you learn my thoughts! You seem to understand a lot approximately this, like you wrote
    the ebook in it or something. I believe that you could do with some p.c.
    to pressure the message home a bit, but instead of that,
    this is magnificent blog. A great read. I'll definitely be
    back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as
    though you relied on the video to make your point.
    You obviously know what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your site when you could be giving us
    something enlightening to read?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This page truly has all of the info I wanted about this subject and didn't know who to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there to all, the contents present at this
    web page are genuinely amazing for people experience,
    well, keep up the good work fellows.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You actually make it seem really easy together with your
    presentation but I in finding this topic to be
    really something that I think I'd by no means understand.
    It seems too complex and very vast for me. I'm taking a look forward in your next publish, I will try to get the cling
    of it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!

    Very helpful info specially the final part :) I care for such info much.
    I used to be seeking this certain information for a very lengthy time.
    Thank you and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, this was an incredibly good post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to generate a really good article…
    but what can I say… I hesitate a whole lot and never seem to get
    anything done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a stuff of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable experience concerning
    unpredicted emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My brother suggested I might like this blog.
    He was entirely right. This post actually made my day.
    You can not imagine just how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Keep on writing, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought
    this post was good. I don't know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.

    Your site offered us with helpful information to work on. You have done a formidable activity and
    our whole neighborhood shall be grateful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think this is one of the most important info
    for me. And i'm glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general
    things, The site style is perfect, the articles is really nice : D.

    Good job, cheers

    ReplyDelete
  20. I couldn't refrain from commenting. Well written!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Touche. Sound arguments. Keep up the great spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is really interesting, You're a very skilled blogger.
    I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of
    your excellent post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an incredibly long comment
    but after I clicked submit my comment didn't appear. Grrrr...
    well I'm not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted
    to say fantastic blog!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Howdy! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out
    and tell you I genuinely enjoy reading through your posts.
    Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with
    the same topics? Thanks for your time!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just like the valuable info you provide for
    your articles. I'll bookmark your weblog and take a look
    at again here frequently. I'm somewhat certain I'll be informed
    lots of new stuff proper right here! Best of luck for the following!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You ought to be a part of a contest for one
    of the most useful websites on the net. I most certainly will highly recommend this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello There. I found your weblog using msn. That is a very well written article.
    I'll make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your
    helpful information. Thank you for the post. I'll definitely return.

    ReplyDelete
  28. My brother suggested I might like this blog. He was
    totally right. This post actually made my day. You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete