Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Why I am starting this blog


We will all die. It is a simple truth that we all hate. But we live our lives pretending that this is just not a possibility. That death happens to others, or the elderly or the frail. But this is not true. Death sits on our shoulder. We just choose to ignore him.

Death scares people. It scares me, too. But not living life to the fullest should scare us even more. Many of us sleep-walk through our lives, never becoming truly aware until many times it is just too late.

I truly enjoy my job as a hospice nurse. Many would think it is sad, and it is, but it is truly an honor to be allowed into someone's life at this remarkable time. My only gift to them is hopefully to allow them to have a good death, on their terms.

I would like to honor my patients by sharing with you some of the wonderful lessons they have taught me. My life is so much richer for having met them. I am grateful every single day.

And so begins our journey forward from their journey onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment